We experienced our first ice storm this weekend. Just as predicted it started sleeting at 4 p.m. on Friday and kept on all night and all day Saturday and Sat. night we got snow. Fifteen miles from us up the mountain and across the border into NC it was much worse. Most business and schools started shutting down at 3 on Friday. Everything is covered with about an inch of ice. No newspaper the last two days. We actually got an email saying the paper might be late and they expected the paper to be delivered if it could be done safely. That was not the case. We did get UPS shipment and mail on Saturday. Our dish TV went out for awhile Sat. morning until Bob knocked some of the ice off the dish.
Today, Sunday, it is 40 and it is melting. Since there are no salt trucks or sanding trucks or snow plows you just wait. I think NC and TN mountains probably have another day or two before they thaw because it is colder 2000-6000 ft. Now the danger for our area is with all the melt and water that it will freeze over the roads again tonight because it is supposed to get down into the 20′s. About 10,000 people in Greenville lost power but we are just fine. I think Bob is secretly a little disappointed he didn’t get to try out the backup generator we have.
I can’t believe it has been over a month since my last post. Did you miss me? As you can guess I haven’t been sitting around doing nothing. We are having our first ice/sleet storm here so frozen in. We have power but the roads are glare ice. Ice is covering our Dish TV so signal is not very good. That makes it a good day to start my blog again.
Here is a quick summary of the last month:
- Christmas with family and friends in Charleston. Lots of pens given for Christmas presents.
- Quiet New Years Eve at home
- Early January an overnight trip to Atlanta to attend the funeral of my dear friend Delorese Ambrose.
- Started weekly yoga class
- Fay doing water aerobics and Bob swimming 3 times a week
- Started weekly SC history class at Furman (really fun)
- Joined Greenville Commerce Club (you will hear much more about this) and attended several of their events.
- Bob and Fay started watching a series of college level lectures by the Teaching Company on Values and Ethics. We are half done and what a fun challenge it is to learn new words and concepts. We previously took courses on Peoples and Cultures of the World and the Psychology of Human Behavior. We have not watched Science and Religion yet and can’t wait to start it.
- Bob finished his workshop, put in the floor in the last room on the lower level and is putting in the floor molding as I type this.
- Took 20 hours of classes on wood turning at Greenville Woodworkers Guild.
- Working on a new website for wood turning and selling some of our hand made items.
- Here are a few it the items Bob and I have been working on.
Hope your new year is off to a good start. Ours is.