My second year of volunteer activity with the Newcomers Club as the technology person will end in May. I am so glad I did this, with plenty of help from Bob. The board has about 16 people and I got an opportunity to get to know them so much better in these smaller groups. It also forced me to get out and do activities. I’m not beyond needing some extra motivation to get out and about. I have met people from all over the country and from the Greenville area. Now I am ready to volunteer for something else.
Of course I have goals and criteria.
- Meet people that live nearby. One of the things that is hard about Newcomers is that most of the members live 45 minutes away and I know I it is more likely that I will make close friends if they are close by .
- Do something that fits my skill and interest level – business, technology, socializing, animals, history, art.
- Not be a big, regular committment. A few hours a month, not 20 hours a month. For example while these are good causes, I don’t want to be locked into volunteering at the humane society or delivering Meals on Wheels every week at a set time. I know myself well enough that I won’t like it.
- Monthly activities with some special programs would be a good fit
- Be involved in my community of Greenville or Travelers Rest. I grew up in a town of 300, Nicollet MN, and one of the reasons we picked Travelers Rest was for the small town feel. Nicollet now has a population over 1000 and is one of the thriving small towns in southern MN. Travelers Rest is doing the same-a jewel in the rough with a big “can do” spirit.
- A volunteer activity that Bob can participate in sometimes.
Did I find something? Stay tuned for the next post.